We need our brain to think, feel, breathe, and move; it’s got a big job to do, which means it deserves big love. By eating healthy foods, we nourish not only our body, but our brain’s functions through vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, flavanols, polyphenols, and omega-3 fatty acids. Because we need all of those things, in turn, we need a good variety of healthy foods to make it happen.
It’s been said that eating certain combinations of food can help to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. For more in-depth information on that, we suggest looking into the Mediterranean diet, DASH diet (good for high blood pressure), and as always, speaking with your healthcare provider about what’s best for you.
For now, here’s your shortlist of healthy foods to give your brain health a boost:
1. “Oily” or “fatty” fish such as salmon, mackerel, tuna, herring, and sardines are all packed with brain-boosting omega-3 fatty acids.
2. Berries — such as strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries — contain flavonoid antioxidants which help to reduce inflammation, increase plasticity for brain cells to form new connections, and can reduce or delay cognitive decline by improving brain cell communication.
3. Nuts & seeds — such as walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, and sunflower seeds — contain the antioxidant vitamin E which can help protect brain cells from oxidative stress.
4. Eat your greens! Kale, spinach, broccoli, and avocado are all great sources of nutrients. Research has suggested that plant-based foods may help to slow cognitive decline. Avocados are a great source of monounsaturated fat, which can reduce high blood pressure which ultimately can lead to cognitive decline.
5. Drinking green tea is a delicious way to boost brain function. Green tea is known to improve alertness, memory, focus, and is rich in polyphenols and antioxidants which can help to prevent mental decline, potentially reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Verve’s signature Living Loving Local culinary program ensures that we are continually sourcing the freshest local ingredients (like the ones above!) for their health benefits and tasty addition to our menu. Cooked to perfection by our professional Red Seal Certified chefs, our whole-body approach to wellbeing is part of the Verve Difference.