Sweet and packed with health benefits, pears are the star ingredient in this month’s Living Loving Local menu. Full of Vitamins C and K, potassium and antioxidants, pears also contain copper, which can have positive effects on immune functions, cholesterol metabolism, and nerve function. Pears also help with gut health through a high fiber content and have anti-inflammatory properties.
Watch as Chef Todd Westlake demonstrates our packed-with-flavour Red Wine Poached Pear recipe.
- One bottle of red wine (I used a Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 4 pears
- 5-6 star anise
- 8-10 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10-12 strands of citrus zest
- A splash of vanilla
- Tbsp. honey
- Fill a small saucepan with the red wine, add all the other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- While waiting for the poaching liquid to come up to temperature, peel the four pears.
- Once peeled, place them in the boiling liquid and reduce the heat to a simmer. If the pears are not fully submerged, you can rotate them to ensure they are evenly cooked.
- They should be cooked in 30 minutes. You can remove from the liquid, or for fuller flavour, let them cool in the liquid overnight.
- When serving the next day you can accompany them with a reduction of the poaching liquid, fresh berries, mascarpone cheese, and candied citrus zest.
Download and share this fruity Red Wine Poached Pear recipe!