Making the transition from your own home or condo to retirement living is an important decision that comes with a lot of considerations. Making an informed decision is an extremely vital part of the process. We thought we would lay out some of the myths that we often hear about retirement living so that you can make the best decision for you.
Here are 7 myths about retirement living that are just not true
1. Retirement Living is like a nursing home
The truth is that they differ significantly. Our residence is a big community that provides many services to seniors who may require help with daily tasks but do not yet require the services of a nursing home. Meals are provided, housekeeping and laundry services are available, as well, there is 24/7 staff here to help with medication management or other personal services. Finally, we have couples that require different levels of care. When you stay with us, you are not separated because of your differences. Families are able to stay together longer in one suite despite needing different care.
2. There is nothing to do and I will be bored
3. Actually, quite the opposite! Our Life Enrichment Team works hard to ensure your days are never boring. It is important for us to get to know what your interests are so that we can provide programming that will keep you active and engaged. And trust us, there is a lot more than bingo! Whether you enjoy exercise classes, cards, crafting, word games, horse racing, bible study, or so much more, there is sure to be a program that fits you and your leisure activities. There are ice cream socials, outside entertainment, hot dog roasts, and much more. You might be so busy that your family will wonder why they can never reach you on the phone! Community engagement is also important to us as we know it is to you. You will have the opportunity to go on outings such as country drives, visits to local attractions, shopping trips, and attend local entertainment.. **
3. The food does not taste good
How does roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and glazed carrots sound to you? Or grilled salmon with dill sauce, steamed rice, and green beans? Finish off your meal with a chocolate brownie. You can even enjoy a glass of wine or a beer with your meal. Our chefs are both expertly trained and have years of experience in delivering fine cuisine. We also cater to dietary needs such as diabetic, gluten free, low sodium, any allergies, as well as any medical restrictions you may have. We take pride in your dining experience and anticipate it to go beyond expectations. The best part, you do not have to worry about cooking anymore. Leave that part to us. We will even do the dishes and clean up!
4. I will lose my independence
Our residence is designed so that you can keep your independence while enjoying the safety and security of assisted living. In fact, we encourage you to stay independent as long as you can. You are welcome to come and go from our building as you please. This allows you to maintain your independent lifestyle if you chose! Each resident has their own set of keys and there is no curfew… unless your kids decide to give you one
5. I do not want to just be a number
Every person who moves in is important to us. We want you to feel like family, because to us, you are! We take the time to get to know your name and who you are. We want you to play a
part in our family and contribute your special gifts and talents. We want you to feel loved and appreciated in your new home.
6. I will lose my privacy
When you move in, you have your own private suite. We want you to feel at home, so we welcome you to decorate and arrange your own furnishings and décor the way that you prefer. Your door has a lock, and each room has their own set of keys.
7. The rooms are small and dark
We wouldn’t want to live in a small and dark room, so we do not expect you to either. We offer studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom suites with the smallest being 370 sq feet and the largest over 1800 sq ft! With that many options, there is definitely a suite size that will fit your needs. We know the benefits of the sun so every room has large windows where you can let the sun in. There is nothing small or dark about any of the rooms at our home.
** Please not that due to COVID-19 and Government restrictions, some of our life enrichment activities look different. Unfortunately we are unable to provide any resident outings at this time. However, despite it looking different, our residents are still active and engaged.