A body as fine-tuned and healthy as can be is helpful to living an active and inspiring life full of Verve. That is why we are proud to introduce our Verve Superfoods Program.
Superfoods: What are they and why should we eat them?
We consider superfoods to be whole, unprocessed foods that contain bioactive compounds, which when consumed regularly as part of a varied diet, are good for overall health, disease prevention and anti-aging functionality. In addition to vitamins and minerals superfoods are loaded with any of the following:
- Flavonoids to boost immunity and act as anti-inflammatory agents.
- Pre & Probiotics that support improved digestion and immune function.
- Plant Sterols to help lower cholesterol and contain anti-cancer, anti-inflammation and antioxidant properties.
- Dietary Fibre which aids in glycemic control, heart health and digestion.
- Antioxidants to prevent or slow damage to cells caused by free radicals (unstable molecules in the body).
- Omega 3-fatty acids which are good for heart health, anti-inflammation and slowing cognitive decline.
The study of bioactive compounds (also referred to as phytonutrients) is relatively young and much of the research is still in the laboratory state. More research is needed, especially in human studies, to conclusively determine if a sufficient quantity of the compounds are retained throughout the digestive process to be of therapeutic use. Applications for these bioactive compounds may, one day, include supplements or food additives. Having said that, it is generally that a diet rich in a variety of foods, especially plant foods, is good for overall health.
While there are many foods that offer potential health benefits, we’ve chosen 21 foods regularly available across our daily and specialty menus to feature in our Verve Superfoods Program. Apples Avocado, Beans & Lentils, Beets, Blackberries, Blueberries, Bran & Oats, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cherries, Cranberries, Eggs, Fatty Fish, Nuts, Peaches, Raspberries, Spinach, Strawberries, Squash, Tomato, and Yogurt. Through education, events and of course tempting menu choices such as Beet and Honey Frozen Yogurt, Sweet Soya Ginger Salmon or Smoked Duck with Cherry Sauce, we hope to inspire our residents to choose these delicious superfoods more often for optimal health and well being.
Verve Superfoods: a delicious choice, a healthy choice.