Living Loving Local at Verve this month: Eggs
The humble egg has been through a lot over the last few decades. They have been vilified as a prime suspect in elevated cholesterol levels and condemned as an allergy hazard to our young. Today however, they are celebrated as a SuperFood, which makes a lot of sense when you consider they provide all the nutrition a baby chicken needs in the first few weeks of life.
One large egg contains:
- 70 calories
- 5g fat
- 1g carbohydrate
- 6g protein
- 195mg cholesterol
- 65mg sodium
Making them a relatively low-calorie choice for the nutrition punch they pack. Eggs are an excellent source of protein, an item needed by all cells in the body for growth and regeneration. While eggs do contain cholesterol, and a significant amount at that when compared with other protein sources such as meat, fish and poultry, the effect of dietary cholesterol on blood cholesterol has been shown to be negligible. Consumption of trans-fatty acids such as those found in processed foods have a much greater impact on overall blood cholesterol levels.
Eggs contain specific vitamins and minerals used for general good health and disease prevention such as:
- Iron to carry oxygen to the cells and to prevent anemia.
- Vitamin A to help maintain healthy skin and eye function, especially night vision.
- Vitamin D to provide strong bones and teeth and possibly prevent certain cancers and auto-immune diseases such as arthritis.
- Folate to work along-side protein to produce and maintain new cells.
- Selenium to act as an antioxidant.
New research into phytochemicals contained within foods, shows us that eggs are a good source of:
- Lutein and zeaxanthin: both of which are needed for good vision and may be linked to prevention of age-related eye diseases, such as cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Choline: needed for DNA synthesis which is associated with memory function and a healthy nervous system.0
Eat eggs for breakfast or lunch or dinner. Whether they are poached, fried, boiled or scrambled – they are an easy to prepare, healthy choice. Try some of our favourite recipes.